Sunday, November 6, 2011

Mask Making

Upload the three (3) inspiration images to your Blog (or link to your Photobucket account). Explain why you selected the inspiration pieces.

Carnival, Oruro, Bolivia Devil Mask
Choose this piece because it looked weird
Colombia, South American Character Mask
Choose this piece because of the different colors

Oruro, Bolivia, South America Bolivian China Supay Mask
I chose this piece because it just jumped out at me

Include the analysis and description (art criticism steps) of the three (3) inspiration pieces.
Artist: Colombian artists
Title: Character Mask
Media: Wood
Date: N/A
Title of Work: Character Mask of Colombia South America
Source of picture (URL): http://www.masksoftheworld.com/SoAmerica/Colombian%20Character%20Mask.htm
Description: The mask has very colorful features in it that was made from the indigenous cultures in Colombia.
Analysis: The mask has the element of color that shows the different parts of the face. The principle that his shown in the mask is the symmetrical balance the face has for the eyes, nose, and mouth.
 
Artist: Bolivian artists
Title: Bolivian China Supay Mask
Media: Fiber-glass, papier mache, paint, sequins, and glitter
Date: N/A
Size: 14 inches
Source of picture (URL): http://www.masksoftheworld.com/SoAmerica/Bolivia%20Mask%201.htm
Description: This mask is used at the Oruro, Bolivia Carnival. This mask is not used for tourist trade.
Analysis: The elements of the mask are color and line. The plain pink color in the background lets the other colors stand out. With the plain pink color in the background the lines are about to stand out to show the different parts of the dragons. The principles of the mask are balance and variety. The balance is the way the two dragons are equal on each side. The variety is that the dragons also represent something different on the mask.
 
Artist: Bolivian artists
Title: Devil mask
Media: plastered cloth
Date: N/A
Size: 9.5 inches
Source of picture (URL): http://www.masksoftheworld.com/SoAmerica/Bolivian%20Diablo%20Mask%203.htm
Description: This mask captures the essence of the Oruro Carnival to represent the devil.
Analysis: The elements of the mask are color, line, and shape. The black color on the mask represents the devil. The lines show the emphasis of the eyes and mouth. And the unusual shape make the mask one of a kind.

Upload images of your sketches and finished piece.

Explain how you used the Elements and Principles in your finished mask.
I looked at my mask and at the tumbnails and I thought real hard on how to create something different. The element that I wanted to focus on was color because, like the previous masks that I got inspiration from I saw that color was a major player in those masks. The princple that I wanted to focus on was the emphasis in the middle of the mask. The respresentation of the butterfly, even though this mask is just sitting on a table, the butterfly in the middle will lift it to new and exciting places.


Share your opinion of your finished mask and what you thought about creating the mask
My opinion of the finished mask was that I wish it did have real powers to lift me to new and exciting places. I may sit behind the mask but when I put it on I think of somewhere else and I know that the mask will give me the strength to get there, someday...


No comments:

Post a Comment