Sunday, December 11, 2011

Self - Portrait

Paul Cézanne
Self Portrait 1898 – 1900
Lithograph
16 7/8 x 12 7/8 inches

Horace Pippin
Self Portrait 1941
Oil on Canvas Board
20 x 17 x 2 ½ inches

Frida Kahlo
Self Portrait with Monkey 1938
Oil on Masonite
16 x 12 inches

Why did you select the inspiration pieces?
I selected the self-portrait of Paul Cézanne because it was done differently which gave me the idea to do my own self-portrait in a new way. I chose the self-portrait of Horace Pippin because in it he is looking at the painting he is doing, and it reminded me to look at my self-portrait and focus on it. For Frida Kahlo, she wanted her self-portrait to represent her; this gave me an idea that I should do something that represents me.

  Why did you select the media to create your self-portrait?
I selected a digital representation of my self-portrait because nowadays I am always on the computer fixing my pictures that I changed my medium from oil paints to digital.

What challenges did you face in creating your self-portrait and how did you overcome them?
The challenges I faced was choosing a picture that I wanted for my self-portrait. I hate taking pictures of myself because I always think that I never smile right or I look fat in my picture, so choosing a picture was the hardest part of this assignment.

How does this piece represent you?
In my self-portrait it is cut up into little pieces, sometimes I feel that is how I am. Little pieces of me are everywhere, pieces of me are at school, pieces of me are taking care of my daughter, and pieces of me are doing housework.

What elements and principles of art did you apply in this work?
Scale and proportion come to mind about my self-portrait.

Did you enjoy working on this project?
I love fixing up my pictures through digital ways because I consider this a new medium in art.

What do you think of your final artwork?
I like my final artwork because I consider it a new way to do a self-portrait.

Self-Portrait

My Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment