Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Video Review on Art Criticism

For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

The key concepts I learned in the video Greenberg on Art Criticism: An Interview by TJ Clark; was that I learned that the best artists of his generation felt isolated. I found out that Greenberg wrote a book on aesthetics and questions about it if was good or bad, he wanted no more talk about the times, he thought it was awful and he also thought it was not awful, this statement I was a little confused about. The next video, Greenberg on Pollock: An Interview by TJ Clark; the key parts I learned was that Greenberg met Pollock outside of a place he was working at, I learned that Greenberg told Pollock to never listen to what was written about him.  The next video, An Introduction to the Italian Renaissance (Giorgio Vasari); I learned that the artist Giotto indroduced a new way the Renaissance used. He was one of the very first to use architect and landscape to change the way they did art back then. Also I learned from the video that early Renaissance has improved on perspective and how light works, they created more realistic forms and backgrounds. The next video, The Critics: Stories from the Inside Pages; I learned that one of the reasons that critics criticize the media arts is to improve the media, and another new item I learned was that critics were went too far with the TV show Dallas, they just wanted to exploit the show and go overboard. The next video, The Colonial Encounter: Views of Non-Western Art and Culture I learned from the video that it showed images of the King of Dahome throwing his enemies over a bridge to their deaths.  The last video Jackson Pollock: Michael Fried and TJ Clark in Conversation, I learned that both these critics regarded Pollock as a major modern artist and both had different opinions of him. They also both agreed on the need of historical accounts of Pollock’s abstraction.


Do the videos relate to the creation of your Art Criticism project? If yes, explain how. If no, explain why not.
The videos give me a better grasp on how to handle my art criticism project. I can relate to them because it gives me a clear and new perspective on how to be a good art critic.


What is your opinion of the films? Do they add depth to understanding of art criticism?

Jackson Pollock is by far one of my favorite artists and as the semester went by my interest in him has increased greatly. Watching the videos about Jackson Pollock was very interesting and I really liked those videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment