Sunday, October 2, 2011

1st Art Gallery Visit

Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why?
The first piece of artwork to make an impression on me was Alan Rath's Clock II (2 o'Clock). I felt that this was the weirdest piece of artwork I had ever seen. When I was walking around in the art gallery I glanced over and saw this piece and immediately I was drawn to it. It is hard to explain but the piece as a whole delights me.

Alan Rath Clock II (2 O'Clock) 1991
Aluminum, Custom Electronics & 3 Cathode Ray Tubes
Dimensions: 25 x 50 x 13 inches


The second piece of artwork that made an impression on me was Jasper John's Numbers in Colors. I loved the way this piece is done. The use of color does more then just impress me, it WOWS me. I really liked the way the artist made each number like they were their own individual.
Jasper Johns Numbers In Colors 1958-59
Encaustic & Newspaper on Canvas
Dimensions: 66-1/2 x 49-1/2 inches
The third piece of artwork to make an impression on me was Charles E. Burchfield's Sun & Rocks. At first glance I noticed the "shiny" sun in the upper right corner of the painting. But as I looked at the description of the painting I noticed that it took Burchfield a very long time to finish this brillant work of art. The length it took also impressed me because Burchfield took him a very long to finish.

Charles E. Burchfield Sun & Rocks 1918-50
Watercolor & Gouache on Paper
Dimensions: 40 x 56 inches

Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?
Jackson Pollock, since I could remember, has been my favorite artist. So when I went to the gallery and saw one of his pieces I was immediately pleased! I walked over to the painting and took a seat and just stared at it, then I started to think of all the things in my life that I had to accomplish, (today, tomorrow, and next week). Then I looked at his artwork and noticed all the different colors going everywhere but all of them seemed to come together. And lately that is how I am feeling.
Jackson Pollock Convergence 1952
Oil on Canvas
Dimensions: 93-1/2 x 155 inches
When I was younger I use to paint a lot, mostly still life. The connection I felt with Jean Helion's painting made me think about back when I painted when I was younger. I noticed her piece and one part seemed to jump out to me, it seems (to me) that she did a lot of detail in one part of her artwork, and I use to do that with most of my work.
Jean Helion Standing Figure 1935
Oil on Canvas
Dimensions: 57-1/2 x 44-7/8 inches
I was not surprised that I would be choosing a piece from Vincent Van Gogh as one of the artworks that I felt a connection with. His painting, The Old Mill, reminds me of my family's farm in Europe. At one point during the time looking at the painting I thought I was looking at my uncle's old house.
Vincent Van Gogh The Old Mill 1888
Oil on Canvas
Dimensions: 25-1/2 x 21-1/4 inches
Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?
 The first piece of artwork I would like to know more about is Andy Warhol's 100 Cans. What a strange piece of artwork! What I would like to know is why did he choose Campbell's soup? Why didn't he choose a different soup? Did he have a lot of Campbell's soup on hand?

Andy Warhol 100 Cans 1962
Oil on Canvas
Dimensions: 72 x 52 inches

 Some sculptures I just don't understand, and Donald Judd's Untitled is one of them. Mostly what I would like to know about is did he make everything from scratch? Or did he already have the galvanized iron in a shape of boxes?
(Picture of whole piece)

(Part of the artwork up close)
Donald Judd Untitled 1969
Galvanized Iron & Plexiglass
Dimensions: overall: 120 x 27-1/8 x 24 inches




















The last piece of artwork that I would like to know more about is John F. Simon Jr.'s Endless Victory. Art has come a long way since oil paints and charcoal. I want to know what kind of software was used in creating this. Also did the artist have to manually draw parts of the artwork out from scratch or did he just use his MAC to draw on?

Picture of Whole Piece
Different Part of the "Video Loop
John F. Simon Jr. Endless Victory 2005
Software, Apple Powerbook G4, & Acrylic Plastic
Dimensions: 28 x 28 x 3-1/4 inches

3 comments:

  1. I did take pictures of some of the works that you have here such as Convergence and 100 Cans but, they did not end up in the 9 I have on my blog. It seemed that the very outstanding and different art seemed to stand out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I find the clock artwork weird and yet intriguing at the same time too. I think that it's great that you looked at the dates for the Burchfield piece, not a lot of people would have paid that much attention to the artwork and would have probably never even noticed that aspect of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You took great pictures at the art gallery. I recognized some of your pictures. The "Numbers in Colors by Jasper John, was one that I decided to exclude from the ones I wanted.

    ReplyDelete