Thursday, October 27, 2011

Hand Drawings

What was it like using your hand as subject matter for a drawing?
          -          At first I thought it was a little bit unusual to use my hands as a subject matter but I like to draw a little so I went with it anyway. Before I started to draw I looked at my hands and I noticed that they have more detail in them then I thought. So then I said to myself, “This is going to be harder than I thought.”

What media did you select? – Pencil or charcoal? Why?
          -          The media I chose was pencil because I feel more comfortable using a pencil. I consider myself a perfectionist and also my worst critic, which can be good and bad. So using the pencil I am able to correct my mistakes easier with an eraser then I would if I used charcoal.

How did it feel to create a drawing with your non-dominant hand?
           -          I barely use my non-dominant hand for anything, basically just to type and use the mouse for the computer. So I felt like a fish out of water. As you can see below I have really no drawing skills with my non-dominant hand. I tried to add some shading to that hand but it really didn’t work. In my opinion it looks like I drew the hand during an earthquake.

Compare and contrast your final drawings. Do you think they are successful studies?
          -          By looking at the drawings you can clearly see which hand is the dominant one and which one is the non-dominant one. The dominant one is smoother and has more defined shading to it; where as the non-dominant one is more jagged and looks like it was poorly done.  I do feel that the final drawings are successful studies because even though my non-dominant hand drawing is badly done you can still make out a hand with some shading to it. For myself, I consider this a success because before doing this exercise I didn’t think my non-dominant hand could accomplish anything. But if I put my mind to it I know now that I can accomplish something like this.

Would you consider using your non-dominant hand to create artwork in the future?
          -          No, I would not consider using my non-dominant hand to create artwork in the future. The reason being is that my non-dominant hand is very weak and it would take a lot of practice and patience to get that hand to be somewhat as successful as the dominant one.

No comments:

Post a Comment