Sunday, October 9, 2011

Art Installation Project

Reflect…

What is installation art?
- The book’s, (Living With Art 9th Edition), definition of installation art is an art form in which an entire room or similar space is treated as a work of art to be entered and experienced. More broadly, the placing of a work of art in a specific location, usually for a limited time.

What materials are used in installation art?
- The materials that are used in installation art can be anything the artist wants to incorporate his/her meaning for the audience. The artist could show his/her feelings in their artwork. From paper to light an artist can use anything they want to get their point across.

Why make installation art?
- Installation art is more than just art, it is feeling. The artist wants the viewer to enter, explore, experience and reflect upon their work of art.

Which artist/installation did I find most interesting?
- The artist that I found most interesting was Yayoi Kusama, while I was watching the video I found out that she voluntarily committed herself in an insane asylum where she currently resides. I thought it was strange that this artist had an obsession with polka dots and almost all of her artwork involved polka dots. But her one project, Fireflies on the Water, seemed a little bit different to me. I think this piece is so inviting and mystical, like you are walking into another world, a magical world full of new beginnings.

From the material reviewed, is there a inspiration piece that I feel a connection with?
- I would have to say that I did find inspiration in a piece in the reading, it was Thomas Hirschhorn’s Jumbo Spoons and Big Cake. What a massive piece! Looking at this installation artwork I noticed all the little details he put in making this. Then I looked around my room and wondered what items would best represent my installation art.



My Installation Art…

What theme do I want to explore in my installation?
- Everyday I am doing my hair or putting make-up on to look more personable for the world around me. For that I use a lot of tools that really never get any credit in helping me with this everyday task.

What materials will I use?
- The materials I used to create my installation art was make-up products, hair brushes, a hair dryer, a hair straighter, hair care products, various lotions, and various perfumes.

Where will this installation be located and why?
- All these items were placed on my dresser that has three different mirrors to complete my “ritual” of getting ready. The items were placed on my dresser because that is where I use them everyday and I felt that it was the best spot to make my artwork.

Describe your installation:
- The title of this piece is What a Girl Goes Through Everyday, the media is make-up products, hair brushes, a hair dryer, a hair straighter, hair care products, various lotions, and various perfumes. The dimensions of this piece are 6 x 2 x 1 inches. For this piece I see a lot of products to use in one day. She makes so many choices in just one day. Where does she need to go for her to use all these products? I see someone in this piece that takes time to get ready.

Analyze your installation:
- The first thing I noticed in my installation was the variety of the artwork I created. I used so many different items to make it all come together. The next thing I noticed was the proportion between the two different parts of the installation, one part represented the face side and the other side represented the hair and body. Two different parts coming together for one girl to make herself up. And lastly what I noticed that there was just enough color to animate the whole thing. Each item is important to me in its own little way, without them I would be lost.

What are your thoughts on the planning and creation of a site specific installation?
- Planning this site for my installation wasn’t that hard. Everything was already there, and I just needed to move some of the items around a little bit to get exactly what I wanted. Creating this installation was fun because I got to use something different, I didn’t have to buy paint or a canvas to create my masterpiece, and I just used ordinary items to have it come all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment