Friday, October 14, 2011

Video Review on Architecture

For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
    Prairie Style
        The key concept that I learned in this video was that Frank Lloyd Wright was the first architect in history to influence the way we live in houses. He introduced the “prairie style”; this style has wide open spaces or an open floor plan in the home. Frank Lloyd Wright wanted buildings to blend naturally into their surroundings.
    Architecture: The Science of Design
        The key concept that I learned in this video was the reinforced and pre-stressed concrete strength and use. I didn’t know that there were different types of concrete, I thought that all concrete was the same, but there are different types of concrete for different uses. Reinforced and pre-stressed concrete where used to make the Olympic stadium in Montreal, Canada.
    Classical Architecture
        All over the world I saw that the most important buildings kind of looked similar, I always wanted to know where these designs came from. Now after watching this video I learned that nations all over the world have used the classical architecture from Ancient Rome and Ancient Greece. Also I wanted to know what the different types of columns were called, after watching this video I learned that they are the Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian styles that have been used for over two thousand years.
    Imperial Rome, Ostia, and Portus: Ancient Architecture and Technology
        I knew Rome loved their architecture but I didn’t know that the geographic setting was very important to them. The key concept that I learned in this video was that the walls (the Servian and Aurelianic Walls) were very important to the safety of the city. Not only did they use engineering advancements for their walls but with the invention of the aqueducts this added more of a water supply to the city. Another key concept I learned was the meaning of Pantheon, it means dedicated to all the gods. In the video there is a main part committed to the explanation of the Pantheon; “Rome’s most famous imperial temple is covered with stucco and marble and lighter at the top. Its roundness is unusual. The top of the copula is open to air. Chambers add to its stability.”

How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
    The videos relate to the readings in the text because both the videos and the readings talk about the same thing. But in the videos go a step further in the description of architecture. Both the readings and the video describe the importance of architecture and how the Ancient Romans and Ancient Greeks had a major influence on modern architecture.

What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of Architecture?
    I thought that the films opened my eyes to all different types of architecture there is in the world. The Prairie video was very interesting because it talked about one of the greatest architects in history, Frank Lloyd Wright. I consider myself more of a visual person and after watching the videos I understand architecture a little more because I saw the of creating brilliant works of architecture.

From the group of four that you had a choice: Why did you choose that film?
    I chose the film Imperial Rome, Ostia, and Portus: Ancient Architecture and Technology because I have always been interested in Roman architecture and I wanted to see what this video had to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment